🏠 » Collection » Photographs
Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission. Citing this page
© Kimberli Faulkner Hull
In September 2021, a photo album containing 47 cabinet card photographs was purchased at the Sandwich, Massachusetts Bazaar Flea Market. The album contained no markings to identify the original owner of the album. All but one of the photographs were taken in New Bedford, Massachusetts and several of the photographs were dated 1890.
The New Bedford High School Class of 1890
Of the 47 cabinet cards in the album, 43 people have been identified. Of the 43 identified, one, Ray Greene Huling, was the high school principal in 1890 and all but two graduated from New Bedford High School in 1890.1 The two that were not part of the graduating class were siblings of someone who graduated in 1890 – Cyrus Chapman Howland, the brother of Blanche Russell Howland, and Edward Slocum, the brother of Frederick Slocum.2
[Open Endnotes in separate tab]
All but one of the photographs were taken by three New Bedford photographers:3
- John O’Neil in the Hastings Building at 88 Purchase Street, 18 photos
- Headley and Reed at 5 Purchase Street, 21 photos
- Henry W. Smith at 25 Purchase Street, 2 photos
The one photograph not taken by the three local photographers was Harriet “Hattie” Newton Hyatt’s, taken by her uncle, noted photographer, Isaiah West Taber, of San Francisco, California, formerly of Fairhaven, Massachusetts.4
1890 New Bedford, Massachusetts photo album
Photos of the album were taken exactly as when the album was acquired. Profiles with full-size photos for each of the people in the photo album are linked from their names below, which are in the order they appeared in the album. An alphabetical list linking to the profiles follows this section.
Photo 1: Ray Greene Huling,
New Bedford High School Principal
Photo 2: Lottie May Allen
Photo 3: Fred Slocum
Photo 4: Helen A. Parker
Photo 5: Ruth Emma Pease
Photo 6: Unknown male 1
Photo 7: Lizzie M. Briggs
Photo 8: Laura Benjamin
Photo 9: Julia Crocker Gifford
Photo 10: Rosalie Parlow
Photo: 11: William Henry Atwood
Photo 12: Lizzie Heppenstall
Photo 13: Berta Naomi Holcomb
Photo 14: Carrie Bradford Nye
Photo 15: S. Elizabeth Kelley
Photo 16: Alice Gertrude Anthony
Photo 17: May E. Stetson
Photo 18: Ed M. Slocum
Photo 19: Leonard Clifton Lapham
Photo 20: Unknown female
Photo 21: Blanche Russell Howland
Photo 22: C. C. Howland
Photo 23: George Everett Noble
Photo 24: Unknown male 2
Photo 25: Arthur Stone Ashley
Photo 26: James Stowe Macomber
Photo 27: Helen Curtis Hervey
Photo 28: Anna Collins Ricketson
Photo 29: Charles P. Emerson
Photo 30: Annie Clapp Milliken
Photo 31: Hattie N. Hyatt
Photo 32: Gertie Evelyn Tripp
Photo 33: George William Needham
Photo 34: Daniel T. Hillman
Photo 35: Carrie Francis Washburn
Photo 36: Harriet Love Cornell
Photo 37: Dora A. DeWolf
Photo 38: Unknown male 3
Photo 39: Hattie Seabury Davis
Photo 40: Lillie A. Heap
Photo 41: Sadie Lowe
Photo 42: Annabelle Chubbuck
Photo 43: Irene Mayhew Bassett
Photo 44: Ruth May Tripp
Photo 45: Gertrude Alice Smith
Photo 46: Alice Maria Purrington
Photo 47: Isadore Brown Lee
Alphabetical list of profiles
* Not a member of the New Bedford High School Class of 1890
Description and Acquisition
Item: 1890 New Bedford, Massachusetts photo album containing 47 cabinet card photographs
Item acquisition: Sandwich, Massachusetts Bazaar Flea Market
Relationship: None found.
1. “New Bedford High School Class of 1890”; photograph held by the New Bedford Free Public Library photograph collection, New Bedford, Massachusetts; published online at Digital Commonwealth Massachusetts Collection Online.
Also, Annual Report of the School Committee of the City of New Bedford, with the Superintendent’s Annual Report, for the Year 1890, (New Bedford : Mercury Publishing Company, 1891), p. 21-23, New Bedford High School Graduating Exercises, 27 June 1890.
Also, “Class of ‘90,” newspaper article, The Evening Standard (New Bedford, Massachusetts), 28 June 1890, p. 2, col. 6.
2. Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Edward M. Slocum (1871–1949),” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures (https://cooladventures.com/collection/edward-m-slocum-1871-1949/ : posted 2021).
Also, Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Cyrus Chapman Howland (1871–1920),” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures (https://cooladventures.com/collection/cyrus-chapman-howland-1871-1920/ : posted 2021).
Also, Annual Report of the Public Schools of New Bedford, Mass. 1891. (New Bedford, E. Anthony and Sons, City Printers, 1892), page prior to title page, New Bedford High School drawing, artist unknown.
3. W. A Greenough, complier, The New Bedford City Directory 1889, (New Bedford, Massachusetts : W. A Greenough, 1889), p. 508, Photographers.
4. “Noted Photographer of City for Forty Years Passes Away,” Isaiah West Taber obituary, The San Francisco Call (San Francisco, California), 23 Feb 1912.
5. “Admission to the High School,” newspaper article, The Evening Standard (New Bedford, Massachusetts), 10 July 1886, p. 5, col. 3.
Admitted from Fifth Street School (with photographs in 1890 album):
Admitted from Middle Street School (with photographs in 1890 album):
Admitted from Parker Street School (with photographs in 1890 album):
Admitted from Acushnet Village School (with photographs in 1890 album)
Graduated from New Bedford High School with a photograph but not on the admissions list
- Hattie Seabury Davis [lived in Little Compton, Rhode Island during childhood]
- Bristol County, Massachusetts Genealogy Library and Resources
- Massachusetts Genealogy Library and Resources
- Rhode Island Genealogy Library and Resources
- Unknown individuals in 1890 photo album
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author and compiler, “1890 New Bedford, Massachusetts photo album” Cool Adventures ( https://cooladventures.com/collection/1890-photo-album/ : published 2021); privately held by the Faulkner–Hull Collection, Massachusetts.