Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull © Chasing Light Media
Niece of Philip Lawrence Faulkner
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission.
Philip Lawrence Faulkner was born on 26 July 1916 in Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois, the third child of Charles Fountain Faulkner and Lora E. Swafford Faulkner.1 Phil was most likely named after his father’s step-father, Philip Jackson Taylor, with whom the family was living at the time of his birth in 1916.2
Soon after his birth, the family moved to Chicago, Cook County, Illinois where Phil grew up, along with his brothers and sisters.3
Phil graduated from Tilden Technical High School in Chicago in June 1934.4 Prior to World War II, Phil worked for Alpert’s Food and Liquor in Chicago.5
Phil entered the Army Air Corp on 29 Apr 1943. During his service, he was stationed with an air group in Corsica. Phil was released from service on 5 Sept 1945.6
Phil married Hazel Eleanor Bradshaw Benson in February 1949, in Chicago, Illinois.7
A personal remembrance from the author…
Uncle Phil was my father, Ernie’s, closest brother. As a little girl, we’d travel to Chicago to visit Uncle Phil and Aunt Hazel from the small town where we lived in Kansas and it was magical. Uncle Phil and Aunt Hazel would take me to Marshall Field’s and spoil me with treasures, followed by a stop at their favorite bakery, where we’d pick up a huge layer cake. As we’d drive through the city in Phil’s big sedan with the windows down, all the sounds, colors, sights and energy of the city would mesmerize me. Phil and Hazel were fun and kind and are truly missed.
Phil was also active in local activities and civic affairs.8
Phil and Hazel moved to Florida in 1973.9 Hazel died on 6 March 1976 in Brevard County, Florida and is buried in Illinois.10
Phil married second to Dorothy Elizabeth Thompson Degarmo on 29 January 1977 in Orange County, Florida.11
Dorothy and Phil lived in Maitland, Orange County, Florida.12
Philip Lawrence Faulkner died at the age of 69 on 29 December 29 1985, in Orange County, Florida. Phil is buried in Glen Haven Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Winter Park, Orange County, Florida.13
Philip Lawrence Faulkner Obituary
Philip L. Faulkner, 69, 125 Tangelo Court, Maitland, died Sunday. Born in Cairo, Ill., he moved to Maitland from Chicago in 1973. He was a retired contract officer for the U.S. Department of Defense and a member of Asbury United Methodist Church, Maitland. He was an Army veteran of World War II and a member of DAV and National Association of Retired Federal Employees.
Survivors: wife, Dorothy E.; son, Bill Hickman, Beaumont, Texas; daughters, Janice Schopfer, Moncks Corner, S.C., Diane Bruton, Jacksonville, Nancy Smith, Chicago; brother, Ernest, Independence, Kan.; 13 grandchildren; four great- grandchildren. Garden Chapel Home for Funerals, Orlando.
“Philip L. Faulkner, obituary, Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Orange County, Florida), 31 Dec 1985, p. 26, col. 2.
Dorothy died 29 Jan 2009 and is buried in Glen Haven Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Winter Park, Orange County, Florida.14
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Philip Lawrence Faulkner,” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures ( https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/philip-lawrence-faulkner-1916-1985/ : posted 2021).
- United States World War II Draft Registration Card, Philip Lawrence Faulkner, serial no. 760, Local Draft Board no. 28, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois.
- 1910 U.S. census, Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 16, sheet 8-B, family 162, Phillip Taylor household; NARA microfilm publication T624, roll 230.
Lora Faulkner, age 22, widowed, born in Tennessee, both parents born in Tennessee, occupation: sales woman, dry goods. Notes: All of the birth locations and parent’s birth location are incorrect. Lora was listed as widowed; she would have been married in 1910. William Melvin is listed as Milton and Charles was not enumerated with the family.
- 1920 U.S. census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, population schedule, ward 7, enumeration district (ED) 444, sheet 4-A, dwelling [blank], family 71, Charles Faulkner household.
Phillip Faulkner, age 3, born in Illinois.
Also, 1930 U.S. census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, Charles Faulkner household.
Phillip Faulkner, age 14, single, born in Illinois, attended school
- “3,821 Diplomas Awarded South Side’s Seniors, Tilden Tech, Philip L. Faulkner,” news article, Chicago (Cook County, Illinois) Tribune, 17 Jun 1934, p. 3-7 S, col. 1
- United States World War II Draft Registration Card, Philip Lawrence Faulkner.
- Department of Veterans Affairs, Beneficiary Identification Records Locator Subsystem (BIRLS) Death File, Washington, D.C.: U.S, Philip Faulkner. Birth: 26 July 1916. Enlistment: 29 Apr 1943. Branch: Air Force. Release: 5 Sept 1945. Death: 29 Dec 1985. Also, “3 Brothers Meet at Wedding for First Time in 4 Years,” Pvt. Clarence Faulkner and Lillian Albert marriage announcement, Southtown Economist (Chicago, Illinois), 11 Feb 1945, p. 10, col. 3.
- Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, Cook County Clerk’s Office, Genealogy Records, Marriage Index, Cook County, Illinois, license no. A967FCF6-171E-4864-A04D-C1307D9EDD32, Philip L. Faulkner–Hayel Benson, 19 Feb 1949.
- “North Beverly Group to Elect Officers November 20, Philip L. Faulkner, Director, Term Expiring,” news article, Southeast Economist (Chicago, Illinois), 17 Nov 1957, section 1, p. 9, col. 3.
“Tell Decor Winners in No. Beverly, Philip L. Faulkner, Chairman of Decorations Committee,” news article, Southeast Economist (Chicago, Illinois), South Suburban Edition, 6 Jan 1957, p. 11, col. 3.
“Wake Up, Taxpayer, Wake Up,” Philip L. Faulkner public forum submission, Southeast Economist (Chicago, Illinois), 20 Oct 1957, p. 4, col. 2.
- “Philip L. Faulkner, obituary, Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Orange County, Florida), 31 Dec 1985, p. 26, col. 2.
- “Hazel E. Faulkner,” obituary, Star Tribune (Chicago, Cook County, Illinois), 11 Mar 1976. Also,
Find A Grave, memorial 195008150, Hazel E Bradshaw Faulkner (1918-1976), Beverly Cemetery, Blue Island, Cook County, Illinois; memorial created by Kimberli Faulkner Hull (contributor 49572158).
- Florida Department of Health, Jacksonville, Florida, Florida Marriage Index, 1927-2001, Orange County, no. 008900, Philip Lawrence Faulkner–Dorothy Elizabeth Degarmo, 29 Jan 1977, vol. 4038.
- Personal knowledge of the author.
- “Philip L. Faulkner, obituary, Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Orange County, Florida), 31 Dec 1985, p. 26, col. 2. Also, Find A Grave, memorial 195007906, Philip Lawrence Faulkner (1916-1985), Glen Haven Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Winter Park, Orange County, Florida; memorial created by Kimberli Faulkner Hull (contributor 49572158).
- “Dorothy Elizabeth ‘Dottie’ Faulkner,” obituary, Baldwin Fairchild Funeral Homes website, 29 Jan 2009. Also, Find A Grave, memorial 107531348, Dorothy E. Faulkner (1916-2009), Glen Haven Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Winter Park, Orange County, Florida; memorial created by Cydee (contributor 47820196).