Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull
Niece of Frances May Faulkner Fancher
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission. Citing this page
© Kimberli Faulkner Hull
Frances was most likely named after her grandmother, Margaret Frances “Fanny” Mills Faulkner Taylor who died in 1909.2
The family soon moved to Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois and then, a few years later, on to Chicago, Cook County, Illinois.3
Frances M. Faulkner and Leonard Everett Fancher marriage
Frances married Leonard Everett Fancher on 23 November 1929 in Porter County, Indiana.4 Both worked at the telephone company; Leonard as a lineman and Frances as a clerk.5 The couple resided at 10827 Normal Avenue in Chicago after their marriage.6
The couple soon moved to Riverdale and spent the first years of their marriage playing pocket billiards, bowling, entertaining friends, playing cards, and going on fishing trips.7
By 1935, Leonard and Frances had moved to 10417 State Street and Leonard’s nephew, Gene, was living with the couple in 1940.8
This was also the residence where Leonard and Frances began their own family in the early 1940s.9
Leonard and France had two daughters, Susanne (1941-1998) and Judith (1942-2021).10
Photo: Daughters of Frances M. Faulkner and Leonard Fancher: Judith (on left) and Susanne (on right) Fancher, ages 4 and 5. Photo from the photo collection of Judith Fancher Hatch; copy given to Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
Frances M. Faulkner Fancher died on 1 October 1951 in Chicago, Illinois at the age of 41.11
1. Birth. St. Louis City, Missouri, Registry of Births, Frances Faulkner, 10 Oct 1909.
Registry of births – City of St. Louis. Right side page in image, 3rd line under October 1909.
Faulkner, Frances M., Address: 2722 Olive, Father: Charles of Kentucky, Mother: Laura of Illinois.
2. Death of Frances’ grandmother, Margaret Frances “Fanny” Mills Faulkner Taylor.
Davidson County, Tennessee Board of Health, death certificate, file no.674 (1909), Mrs. Margaret Francis Taylor, 24 June 1909; Faulkner-Hull Family Papers, privately held by Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
3. 1910 U.S. census, Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 16, sheet 8-B, family 162, Philip Taylor household.
– Phillip J. Taylor, age 48, widowed, born Ohio, both parents born in Ohio, occupation: blacksmith, owns shop
– May Taylor, age 19, born in Illinois, both parents born in Ohio
– Margaret Taylor, age 19, born in Illinois, both parents born in Ohio
– William Taylor, age 12, born in Illinois, both parents born in Ohio
– Lora Faulkner, boarder, age 22, widowed, born in Tennessee, both parents born in Tennessee, occupation: sales woman, dry goods
– Milton, boarder, age 3, born in Illinois, both parents born in Tennessee
– Francis, boarder, age 1, born in Illinois, both parents born in Tennessee
Notes: All of the birth locations and parents’ birth locations are incorrect. Lora was listed as widowed; she would have been married in 1910. William Melvin is listed as Milton and Charles was not enumerated with the family.
Charles and Lora were living at 810 E. 57th St. in Chicago when Charles registered for the WWI draft. United States World War I Draft Registration Card, Charles Fountain Faulkner, serial no. 679, Local Draft Board no. 15, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, 12 September 1918.
Also, 1920 U.S. census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, population schedule, ward 7, enumeration district (ED) 444, sheet 4-A, dwelling [blank], family 71, Charles Faulkner household.
– Charles Faulkner, age 38, married, born in Kentucky, father born in U.S., mother born in Kentucky, occupation: distribution of circulars
– Lora Faulkner, age 37, married, born in Illinois, both parents born in Illinois
– William Faulkner, age 13, born in Tennessee
– Francis, age 10, born in Missouri
– Phillip Faulkner, age 3, born in Illinois
4. Marriage. State of Indiana, Indiana Commission on Public Records, Indianapolis, Marriage Records, Porter County, Leonard E. Fancher–Frances M. Faulkner, 23 Nov 1929.
Groom: Birth 16 April 1904, first marriage parents Vernon Fancher and Alice Parvis.
Bride: Birth: 10 Oct 1909, first marriage, parents Charles Faulkner and Laura Swafford.
5. 1930 U.S. census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 16-381, sheet 7A (penned), p. 36 (stamped), dwelling 93, Walter Scowcroft household, Leonard and Frances Fancher boarders.
– Leonard Fancher, boarder, age 25, age first married 25, born in Illinois, occupation: lineman for telephone company, parents born in Illinois.
– Francis Fancher, boarder, age 20, age first married 20, born in Illinois, occupation: clerk for telephone company, parents born in Illinois.
7. “Mrs. Leonard Fancher Entertains Friends,” news article, The Pointer (Riverdale, Illinois), 3 July 1936, p. 1, col. 4
“Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Fancher Return from Fishing Trip to New Augo, Michigan,” news article, The Pointer (Riverdale, Illinois), 30 Oct 1936, p. 1, col. 4.
“Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Fancher and Mrs. Stanley Prymas, Local Stars of White City League Bowlers,” news article, The Pointer (Riverdale, Illinois), 1 Mar 1935, p. 1, col. 3.
“Leonard Fancher Surprised on Birthday,” news article, South End Reporter (Chicago, Illinois), 29 Apr 1937, p. 9, col. 2.
“Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Fancher and John Macker Return from Fishing Trip,” news article, The Pointer (Riverdale, Illinois), 24 Jul 1936, p. 9, col. 4.
“Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Fancher Return from Fishing Trip in Michigan,” news article, The Pointer (Riverdale, Illinois), 28 Aug 1936, p. 1, col. 4.
“Roseland Team Enters Women’s Billard Finals,” news article, Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois), 19 May 1932, p. 20, col. 6.
8. 1940 U.S. census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 103-588, sheet 8A, dwelling 166, Leonard Fancher household.
Address: 10417 State Street, same residence in 1935.
– Leonard Fancher, age 35, married, born in Illinois, occupation: teletype man for telephone company
– Frances Fancher, wife, age 30, married, born in Missouri
– Gene Fancher, nephew, age 4, born in Florida
9. 10417 State Street was the address listed by Leonard at the time of his WWII draft registration on 16 Feb 1942.
United States World War II Draft Registration Card, Leonard E. Fancher, serial no. T-1463, local board no. 92, Chicago, Illinois.
10. For Susanne’s birth: Social Security Administration, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, Susanne Fancher Woodard Doughty. Birth: 21 July 1941, Evergreen Park, Cook County, Illinois. Death: Feb 1998. Parents: Leonard Fancher and Frances M. Faulkner.
For Judith, birthdate and location, as told to the author by her cousin, Judy Fancher Hatch.
Also, U.S., Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 1, Phoenix, Arizona, Judith A. Hatch, birth 8 July 1942.
11. Death. Chicago, Cook County, Illinois Deaths, Frances M. Fancher, 01 Oct 1951, Chicago, Cook, Illinois. Address: 8224 Woodlawn Ave. Age: 41. Married. Occupation: Housewife. Birth: 10 Oct 1909, St Louis, Missouri. Parents: Charles Faulkner and Lora Swafford. Spouse: Leonard J. Fancher.
Also, three obituaries:
“Frances M Fancher,” obituary, Suburbanite Economist (Chicago, Illinois), 3 Oct 1951, p 13, col 2.
“Frances M. Fancher,” obituary, Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois), 2 Oct 1951, p. 20, col. 5.
“Frances M. Fancher, obituary,” South End Reporter (Chicago, Illinois), 3 Oct 1951, p. 14, col. 2.
Also, Find A Grave, memorial 195007241, Frances May Faulkner Fancher (1910–1951), cremation; memorial created by Kimberli Faulkner Hull (contributor 49572158).
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Frances M. Faulkner Fancher,” Cool Adventures
( https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/frances-m-faulkner-fancher-1909-1951/ : posted 2021).