Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull © Chasing Light Media
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission. Citing this page.
Mary Louisa “Maye” Crawshaw was born on 3 Jan 1887 in Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts to Thomas Crawshaw and Maria Stout Walsh.1
May’s parents, Thomas and Maria, came to the United States from England, arriving in New York on 7 May 1881 with their sons, John, Stanley, and Benjamin.2 Thomas and Maria are believed to have had two additional known sons that died as children in England prior to the family’s emigration, Gilbert, and Benjamin’s twin, William Ewart.3
The Crawshaw family settled in Taunton, where Alice Gilberta “Bertie” was born in 1883.4 May, born Mary Louisa and the youngest, joined the family in 1887.5
Maye’s 1901 Diary
In 1901, May, as she spelled her name at the time, kept a diary. The diary, which has been scanned and transcribed, can be found on the following pages:
Maye’s education and profession as a teacher
Maye graduated from Taunton High School in 1906.6
Maye attended Rhode Island Normal School, later called Rhode Island College, a teacher preparatory school. Maye graduated in June 1909. She returned to Taunton where she taught in public schools until 1921. Maye then began teaching at Williams School in Auburndale, Massachusetts.
Maye L. Crawshaw (1887-1956)
Maye L. Crawshaw died at the age of 69 on 24 March 1956 in Newton, Massachusetts. She is buried with her parents and siblings in Mayflower Hill Cemetery in Taunton, Massachusetts.
Maye L. Crawshaw obituary
Funeral services were held Monday for Miss Maye L. Crawshaw, 69, of 73 Elm road, Newtonville, teach at the Williams School of Auburndale for 34 years, who died suddenly March 24 at her home.
Miss Crawshaw, who taught first grade, graduated from Rhode Island College in 1909, and taught in Taunton public schools from then until 1921 when she came to Auburndale. She was a member of the Newton Teachers Federation and the National Education Association.
She leaves a sister, Mrs. Alice Roberts of Framingham and a brother, Stanley Crawshaw, also of Framingham.
“Maye L. Crawshaw,” obituary, The Newton Graphic (Newton, Massachusetts, 29 Mar 1956, p. 4, col. 3.
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Maye L. Crawshaw,” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures (https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/mary-l-maye-crawshaw/ : posted 2021).
- Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, Birth Records 1887, no. 45, Mary Louisa Crawshaw.
Birth: 3 Jan 1887, Taunton, Massachusetts. Parents: Thomas and Maria, both born in England.
Additonally, Diary entry for 3 Jan 1901 reads: “Went skating this afternoon on Bush. It was my birthday to day. I am 14 years old. Mama gave me $3 for a present.” May L. Crawshaw 1901 Diary, (Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, 1901), 2-3 Jan 1901 entry; privately held by the Faulkner–Hull Collection, Massachusetts.
Notes: Per her birth record, Maye was born Mary Louisa. Maye spelled her name “May” in her early teens, the spelling she inscribed in her diary in 1901. From 1909 at Rhode Island Normal School to her death, she spelled her name Maye. Additionally, her middle name varies from Louisa on her birth record, to Louise, as it is inscribed on her headstone as “Mary Louise”.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897, S.S. Celtic, Liverpool to New York, arrival 7 May 1881, manifest list, passengers 707-711, Thomas, Maria, John, Stanley and Benjamin Crawshaw.
- “Maye L. Crawshaw,” obituary, The Newton Graphic (Newton, Massachusetts, 29 Mar 1956, p. 4, col. 3. Also, 1957 Newton, Massachusetts city dirctory entry reads: “Crawshaw, Mary L died March 24, 1956, 73 Elm rd (Newt).” R.L. Polk & Co., publisher, Polk’s Newton City Directory 1957 (Boston, Massachusetts, 1957), p. 114, Mary L. Crawshaw.
- Headstone front reads: Crawshaw. Headstone back reads: 1846 Thomas Crawshaw 1932 / 1848 Maria S His Wife 1923 / 1880 Benjamin 1947 / 1887 Mary Louise 1956 / 1883 Alice Crawshaw Robbins 1975.
Find A Grave, memorial 132121348, Mary Louise Crawshaw (1887–1956), Mayflower Hill Cemetery, Section 23, Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts headstone photo and memorial created by jtb (contributor 46774572).
- THS Journal 1906 (Taunton, Massachusetts – Taunton High School Yearbook, 1906), p. 42, Class of 1906, Maye Crawshaw.