Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull © Chasing Light Media
Grandniece of Thomas Burton Faulkner
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission.
Thomas Burton Faulkner was born in April 1883 to Hutchins Burton Faulkner and Margaret Frances “Fanny” Mills Faulkner, most likely in Hopkins County, Kentucky.1 Thomas Burton’s middle name was the maiden name of his grandmother, Dianah Burton Faulkner and the name he used as a first name in adulthood.
Thomas Burton’s childhood was spent with his parents and siblings, Mary Elizabeth, John A., and Charles Fountain, in Hopkins County, Kentucky until his father’s death in 1888.2 Burton’s mother remarried to Philip Taylor in October 1888.3 The family moved to Nashville, then on to Louisville, Kentucky, and grew in size with additional children born: Phenaty May, Margaret, and William Miller Taylor.4
After leaving the family home, Burton and his brother, Charles Fountain, lived together in Louisville on 26th street in 1904 in Louisville, and then in Cairo, Illinois in 1908.5
At some point, Burton married and had three children; their identities are unknown. Burton’s mother, Fanny, died in Davidson County, Tennessee in 1909 and his step-father, Philip Taylor, and Burton’s half-siblings, moved to Cairo, Illinois by 1910.6
Thomas Burton Faulkner died of pneumonia at the age of 29 on 8 July 1913 in Cairo, Illinois.7 At the time of his death, he was married and had three children.8
Burton’s funeral was held in Davidson County, Tennessee at the home of his sister, Mary Elizabeth Faulkner Jacobs.9 Burton is buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee.10 Burton’s estate was probated in October 1913.11
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Thomas Burton Faulkner” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures ( https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/thomas-burton-faulkner-1883-1913/ : posted 2021).
- 1900 U.S. census, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, population schedule, ward 11, p. 7 (penned), enumeration district (ED) 143, sheet 290-B, family 132, Philip J. Taylor household.
– Philip J. Taylor, age 38, born Mar 1862 in Kentucky, married 11 years, axe handle finisher
– Fanny M. Taylor, wife, age 41, born July 1858 in Kentucky, married 11 years, 8 children born, 6 children living
– Phenaty M Taylor, daughter, age 9, born July 1890 in Tennessee
– Maggie E. Taylor, daughter, age 8, born Aug 1891 in Tennessee_
– William M. Taylor, son, age 3, born Apr 1897 in Kentucky
– Charles F. Faulkner, stepson, age 18 born July 1881 in Kentucky
– Thomas B. Faulkner, stepson, age 17, born Apr 1883 in Kentucky
– Mary Goatley, servant
For location of parents’ resident at time of birth, 1880 U.S. census, Curtail, Hopkins County, Kentucky, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 190, sheet 46 B, dwelling 319, Hutch B Faulkner household.
For parents, Fanny Mills Faulkner filed a Guardianship Bond for Mary E, Charles F, and Thomas B. on 20 Apr 1888, Hopkins County, Kentucky, Guardian Bonds 1886-1895, p. 137, 20 April 1888, Mrs. M. F. Faulkner for guardianship of Mary E., Chas. F., and Thos. B. Faulkner.
- Hopkins County, Kentucky, Marriage Bonds 1887-1890, p. 514-515, bond and certificate, P. J. Taylor–Mrs. M. F. Faulkner, 31 Oct 1888.
- Burton’s half-sister, Phenaty May Taylor, was born in 1990 in Nashville, Tennessee. Commonwealth of Kentucky, certificate of death, no. 6478, Lexington, Fayette County, Mrs. Phenaty May Johnson, 22 Mar 1939. Birth: 13 July 1890, Nashville, Tennessee.
Also, Thomas Burton in the household of his mother and step-father, 1900 U.S. census, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, population schedule, ward 11, p. 7 (penned), enumeration district (ED) 143, sheet 290-B, family 132, Philip J. Taylor household.
- C. K. Caron, president, Caron’s Directory of the City of Louisville, vol. 31 (Louisville, Kentucky: Caron Directory Co., 1901), p.413, C. Fountain Faulkner and Burton Faulkner, Bayless Ave.
– Faulkner, Burton lab b. 18th ne cor Bayless av
– Faulkner, C. Fountain clk b 1716 Bayless av
Also, C. K. Caron, president, Caron’s Directory of the City of Louisville, vol. 34 (Louisville, Kentucky: Caron Directory Co., 1904), p. 449, Chas. F. Faulkner and Thomas B. Faulkner, 2408 26th street.
Geo. B. Walker, compiler, Walker’s Cairo City Directory for 1908-1909 (Cairo, Illinois : George B. Walker, 1908). p. 81, Burton Faulkner and Charles F. Faulkner.
– Faulkner, Burton, wks. Telephone Co. h. 2501 Park
– Faulkner, Chas F., h. 2501 Park
- For Burton’s mother’s death, Davidson County, Tennessee Board of Health, death certificate, file no.674 (1909), Mrs. Margaret Francis Taylor, 24 June 1909; Faulkner-Hull Family Papers, privately held by Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
For the move of the family to Illinois, 1910 U.S. census, Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 16, sheet 8-B, family 162, Philip Taylor household.
- Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois Court House, Death Record, Vol. 2, May 1910–Oct 1915, p. 215, Thomas B. Faulkner, 8 July 1913.
Thomas B. Faulkner, age 29, married. Salesman. Cause of death: pneumonia. Place of death: 23 and Park, Alexander County. Burial: Tennessee.
- “Died This Morning,” T. B. Faulkner death notice, The Cairo Bulletin (Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois), 8 July 1913, p. 4, col. 5.
- “Burton Faulkner,” funeral notice, Nashville Banner (Nashville, Tennessee), 9 Jul 1913, p 12, col 7.
- Find A Grave, memorial 208541826, Thomas Burton Faulkner (1883–1913), Mount Olivet Cemetery, Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee.
- Alexander County, Illinois, Index to Probate Files, p. 47, Thomas B. Faulkner estate, administrator Edward S. Hill, box F3, filed 2 Oct 1913, finalized 15 Oct 1913.