Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull © Chasing Light Media
Niece by marriage of Solease Hanley Baird
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may not be copied or otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission.
Solease Hanley Baird was born 13 Oct 1903 in Walnut, Crawford County, Kansas to James Robert Baird and Estelle Dora “Stella” Allen Baird.1
Born Solease Hanley, as an adult Hanley used his middle name of Hanley and Solease as a middle name.
Hanley’s parents, James Robert Baird and Estelle Dora “Stella” Allen
As a child, Hanley lived in Nowata, Oklahoma with his father, James, a veterinarian originally from Kentucky, his mother, Stella, and Stella’s brother, Solease, named after her father.2
Stella’s mother, Ouncebelle “Belle” Slusher Allen, appears to have spent time both at her home and with Stella and her family, as Belle was enumerated in 1910 at both her own home and at the home of James and Stella.3
Hanley’s parents, James and Stella, divorced in 1913.4 Hanley’s father returned to Kentucky where he practiced veterinary medicine until his death on Hanley’s 48th birthday in 1951.5 James Robert Baird is buried in Glenville Baptist Church Cemetery in Glenville, Kentucky.6
Stella married twice more; first to Ed Moore on 20 Dev 1915 in Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas, and second to Chester Watkins on 2 January 1941 in California.7 Stella died on 19 May 1973 in Fairfield, Solano County, California; she is buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Independence, Kansas.8
Hanley Baird and Bernice Eva King marriage
Hanley married Miss Bernice Eva King on 23 Aug 1925 at the Catholic parsonage in Walnut, Crawford County, Kansas.9
Eva was the daughter of Elizabeth King and the late Claude H. King, who had died in 1916.10
In 1930, Hanley and Eva were living in Walnut, Kansas with Hanley’s grandparents, Solease and Belle Allen.11
Hanley Baird and Eleanor Marie Phillis marriage
Hanley married second to Eleanor Marie Phillis on 29 November 1939, in Independence, Kansas.12 Eleanor and Hanley, Eleanor’s parents, W. W. and Myrtle Phillis, and Eleanor’s sister, Evelyn, were all living in the same household in Independence, near the Professional Building in 1940.13
Hanley Baird photos, 1940s-1950s
Eleanor and Hanley purchased a home at house at 1020 W. Maple in Independence but decided to move west in the mid 1950s. About 1955, Eleanor and Hanley moved to Fairfield, California where they opened a shoe store, Baird’s Shoes, and established a home.15
Eleanor and Hanley toured Northern California, frequently went into San Francisco to eat and shop, spent much time driving down the coast, and going to Lake Tahoe to fish, hike, and do a bit of gambling.16
Sadly, Hanley suffered a heart attack and died at the age of 59 on 1 June 1963 in California.17 Hanley is buried in Mount Hope Cemetery in Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas.18
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Solease Hanley Baird,” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures ( https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/solease-hanley-baird-1903-1963/ : posted 2021).
- State of Kansas, State Board of Health, Walnut, Crawford County, Kansas, delayed birth certificate, no. 19-2206, Solease Hanley Baird, 13 Oct 1903; privately held by Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
- 1910 U.S. census, Nowata, Nowata County, Oklahoma, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 131, sheet 33 A, dwelling 657, family 694, James R. Baird household.
– James R. Baird, age 35, married 7 years, born in Kentucky, veterinary
– Estella D. Baird, wife, age 25, married 7 years, 1 child born, 1 child living, born in Kansas
– Solease H. Baird, son, age 6, born in Kansas
– Twila A. Seely, boarder, age 19
– Solease H. Allen, brother-in-law, age 23, born in Kanas
– Belle Allen, mother-in-law, age 50, married 34 years, 6 children born, 4 children living, born in Missouri
- Ibid. Also, 1910 U.S. census, Walnut, Crawford County, Kansas, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 110, sheet 4A, dwelling 644, family 44, Solease A. Allen household.
– Solease A. Allen, age 60, married 33 years, born in Illinois
– Ouncebelle Allen, age 51, married 33 years, 6 children born, 4 living, born in Missouri
– Grace M., daughter, age 28, married 7 years, 2 children born, 0 living, born in Kansas
– Alonzo R., son-in-law, age 29, married 7 years, born in Kansas
- “Estella D. Baird vs. J. R. Baird,” divorce notice, The Coffeyville Journal (Coffeyville, Kansas), 25 Apr 1913, p. 7, col. 6.
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, certificate of death, Owensboro, Daviess County, Kentucky, no. 116 51 19359, James Robert Baird, 13 Oct 1951. Also, “Dr. James R. Baird,” obituary, Owensboro Messenger (Owensboro, Kentucky)14 October 1951, p. 2, col. 4.
- Headstone reads: James R. Baird / July 27, 1874 / Oct. 13, 1951.
Find A Grave, memorial 31285099, James Robert Baird (1874–1951), Glenville Baptist Church Cemetery, Glenville, Daviess County, Kentucky.
- “Mr. Ed Moore and Mrs. Stella Baird Wed,” marriage announcement, Walnut Eagle (Walnut, Kansas), 18 Feb 1916, p. 3, col. 2. Also, State of California, Department of Public Health, Index to Marriages, book 1703, p. 178, Chester S. Watkins–Estelle D. Moore, 2 Jan 1941.
- State of California, Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics, Sacramento, California Death Index, 1940-1997, Solano County, Estelle D. Watkins, 17 May 1973. Birth: 13 July 1884, Kansas.
Also, Headstone reads: Allen / Grace M. / 1882-1978 | Watkins / Estella Baird / 1884 – 1973
Find A Grave, memorial 71331743, Estella Baird Allen Watkins (1884-1973), Mount Hope Cemetery, Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas.
- “Wedding Bells, Mr. Hanley Baird and Miss Bernice Eva King,” marriage announcement, The Walnut (Kansas) Eagle, 30 October 1925, p. 3, col. 2.
- Eva in the household of Claude and Elizabeth King, 1910 U.S. census, Willowdale, Dickinson County, Kansas, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 38, sheet 12B, dwelling 217, Claude H. King household.
– Claude H. King, age 26, barber, born in Kansas
– Elizabeth King, age 26, married 4 years, wife, born in Illinois
Eva King, daughter, age 2, born in Kansas
Also, “Mr. Claude King,” obituary, Florence Bulletin (Florence, Kansas), 20 Apr 1916, p. 2, col. 5.
- 1930 U.S. census, Walnut, Crawford County, Kansas, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 19-34, sheet 3A, dwelling 72, family 73, Solese A. Allen household.
– Solese A. Allen, age 80, age at first marriage 27
– Bell Allen, wife, age 71, age at first marriage 18
– Hanley S. Baird, grandson, age 26, age at first marriage 21
– Eva B. Baird, wife, age 22, age at first marriage 18
- Marriage Records of Montgomery County, Kansas, no. H 13421, Baird-Phillis, 1939; Faulkner-Hull Family Papers, privately held by Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
- 1940 U.S. census, Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 63-29, sheet 5-B, household 121, William Phillis household. Note: Census states residence was 308 N. 9th, however, they lived at 313 N. 9th [photos have house number visible; house has been torn down].
- Hanley Baird photos, 1940s-1950s; all photos privately held by Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
– Hanley Solease Baird, ca. 1950s.
– Hanley Baird and Bob and Karen Faulkner, ca. 1948, Independence, Kansas.
– Hanley Baird with plow, Karen and Ernie Faulkner watching, ca. 1951, Independence, Kansas.
– Hanley Baird and Timmie the dog, ca 1940s, Independence, Kansas.
– Hanley and Eleanor Baird with Karen Faulkner, ca. 1948, Independence, Kansas.
– Hanley Baird and Ernie Faulkner in Independence, Kansas, ca. 1940
– Hanley Baird and Bob and Karen Faulkner, Eleanor Baird looking out car window, ca. 1948, Independence, Kansas.
– Eleanor and Hanley Baird, ca. 1940, Independence, Kansas.
– W. W. Phillis, Eleanor Phillis Baird, Hanley Baird, Myrtle Hooper Phillis. Back dated: 23 June 1952.
– William Phillis and son-in-law, Hanley Baird, not dated, ca. 1950s, Independence, Kansas.
- Personal knowledge of the author.
- As told to the author by her aunt, Eleanor Baird
- “California Death Index, 1940-1997,” Hanley S. Baird, 1 June 1903; citing Department of Public Health Services, Sacramento, California.
- Headstone reads: Baird / Eleanor M. / Oct. 20, 1913 / Jan 14, 2008 | Hanley S. / Oct. 13, 1903 / June 1, 1963 / Together Forever
Find A Grave, memorial 71388554, Hanley Solease Baird (1903-1963), Mount Hope Cemetery, Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas