🏠 » Genealogy » Phillis and Thomas
Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull
Grandniece of John Boyce Phillis
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission. Citing this page
© Kimberli Faulkner Hull
John Boyce Phillis was born on 20 June 1890 in Cambridge, Guernsey County, Ohio to John C. Phillis and Julia A. Thomas.1
[Open Endnotes in separate tab]
John Boyce, who went by both Boyce and John B., lived in Pleasant Valley in Cambridge as a child with his parents and siblings.2 Adventurous at an early age, Boyce first flew at the age of 14 in 1904.3
In 1905, Boyce’s parents sold their farm and the family moved first to Caney, Montgomery County, Kansas, then on to Dewey, Washington County, Oklahoma.4 Boyce soon traveled back to Ohio to visit friends, and then moved to New York City with his brother, Charlie.5
Boyce and Charlie lived in New York City for three years before setting out on a two-month travel adventure that ended with a Thanksgiving family reunion at their parents’ home in Dewey.6
Boyce and Charlie stayed in Oklahoma with their family attending parties and social events.7 Soon, the family was on the move again, relocating to Chicago in 1912.8
On 18 March 1914 in Chicago, Boyce married Florence Young.9
John Boyce and Florence lived at 118 E. Oak Dr. in Chicago when he registered for the World War I draft in 1917 and John Boyce was working at the Great Northern Hotel at Jackson and Dearborn.10
John Boyce’s father, John, died at the age of 61 on 30 Jan 1918 in Chicago and is buried in Montrose Cemetery.11
By 1920, John Boyce and Florence had moved to 2217 Cleveland Avenue in Chicago and John Boyce was working as an usher with the railroad. Florence’s son, Charlie, was living with Florence’s family in Salem, Illinois.12
John Boyce’s mother, Julia, died in Chicago at the age of 67 on 20 Mar 1927. Julia is also buried in Montrose Cemetery.13
It is unknown how long John Boyce and Florence remained together as a couple.
When John Boyce’s mother, Julia, died in 1927, John Boyce was listed in one of the obituaries as living in Chicago.14 It is believed John Boyce died sometime between 1927 and 1940, as Florence was enumerated living at the Century Hotel on the south side of Chicago as a widow in 1940.15
Florence Young Phillis died at the age of 59 on 8 September 1946 in Chicago.16 Florence’s son, Charles Clay Young, died at the age of 45 in Marion County, Illinois on 7 October 1950.17
Florence and Charlie are buried in Iuka Cemetery in Iuka, Marion County, Illinois.18
1. Guernsey County, Ohio, Birth Record Index Card, John B. Phillis, 20 June 1890.
Parents: John C. Phillis and Julia A. Thomas. Birthplace: Cambridge Township. Register: vol. 2, p. 100. Registered: May 1891.
Also, Guernsey County, Ohio, Probate court, Record of Births, p. 100, no. 155, John B. Phillis, 20 June 1890. Place of birth: Cambridge. Father: John C. Phillis. Mother: Julia A. Thomas. Residence of Parents: Cambridge Twp.
Also, Cambridge, Guernsey County, Ohio, Precinct 3, Assessor’s Report, Report of Births, John B. Phillis, 20 June 1890. Place of birth: Cambridge. Father: John C. Phillis. Mother: Julia A. Thomas. Residence of Parents: Cambridge Twp.
2. 1900 U.S. census, Cambridge Township, Guernsey County, Ohio, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 3, sheet 27-A, dwelling 223, family 223, John P. Philis.
– John P. Phillis, head, age 43, married 16 years, born Sept 1856 in Ohio
– Julia, wife, age 48, married 16 years, 6 children born and living, born Mar 1859 in Ohio
– Will, son, age 15, born Sep 1884 in Ohio
– Charlie S, son, age 14, born Jul 1886 in Ohio
– Fred, son, age 11, born Aug 1888 in Ohio
– Boyce, son, age 9, born June 1890 in Ohio
– Howard, son, age 6, born Aug 1893 in Ohio
– Ralph, son, age 3, born Aug 1896 in Ohio
3. “Boyce Phillis and Wilbur McConnell Fly to Winterset,” news article, Cambridge Jeffersonian
(Pleasant Valley, Cambridge, Guernsey County, Ohio), 28 Jul 1904, p. 1, col. 2.
4. “Farewell Dinner Held for Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Phillis,” news article, Cambridge Jeffersonian, (Pleasant Valley, Cambridge, Guernsey County, Ohio), 23 Feb 1905, p. 1, col. 6.
Also, “Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Phillis and Family Begin Move to Kansas” news article, Cambridge Jeffersonian (Pleasant Valley, Cambridge, Guernsey County, Ohio), 9 Mar 1905, p. 1, col. 3.
Also, 1905 Kansas state census, Caney, Montgomery County, Kansas, population schedule, p. 5, dwelling 43, family 43, J. C. Phillis; Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, Kansas,
1905 Kansas Territory Census, roll: ks1905_104.
– J. C. Phillis, age 48
– J. A. Phillis, age 45
– W. W. Phillis, age 20
– C. S. Phillis, age 18
– Fred, age 16
– Boyce, age 14
– Ralph, age 9
– Clarance, age 3
5. “Boyce Phillis Visiting Friends, Pleasant Valley,” newspaper article, The Cambridge Jeffersonian (Cambridge, Ohio), 10 Oct 1907, p. 5, col. 6.
Also, “A Family Reunion, Chas. S. and J. B. Phillis Return,” news article, The Dewey World (Dewey, Oklahoma), 2 Dec 1909, p. 8, col. 1.
7. 1910 U.S. census, Dewey Township, Washington County, Oklahoma, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 255, sheet 19B, dwelling 389, John C. Phillis household.
The family was living on Cherokee Street.
– John C. Phillis, head, age 54, married 27 years, born in Ohio
– Julia A., wife, age 50, married 27 years, 7 children born and living, born in Ohio
– Howard, son, age 16, single, born in Ohio
– John B., son, age 19, single, born in Ohio
– Ralph R., son, age 13, single, born in Ohio
– Clarence E., son, age 8, single, born in Ohio
Also, “A New Year’s Party, Charlie Phillis Attends,” news article, The Dewey Sentinel (Dewey, Oklahoma),
7 Jan 1910, p. 1, col. 4.
Also, A Valentine Evening, Charles and J. B. Phillis Attend,” news article, The Dewey Sentinel
(Dewey, Oklahoma), 18 Feb 1910, p. 8, col. 4.
Also, “A Birthday Surprise, Charles and Boyce Phillis Attend,” news article, The Dewey Sentinel (Dewey, Oklahoma), 4 Mar 1910, p. 1, col. 5.
8. Mr. and Mrs. Phillis Move to Chicago,” newspaper article, Dewey Globe (Dewey, Oklahoma), 16 Feb 1912, p. 5, col. 3.
9. Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, Marriage Certificate with Return, no. 658411, John B. Phillis–Miss Florence Young, 18 Mar 1914. Groom: Age 26. Bride: Age 25.
Also, “Marriage Licenses, John B. Phillis–Florence Young,” newspaper notice, The Inter Ocean (Chicago, Illinois), 19 Mar 1914, p. 11, co. 1. Ages 26 and 5.
10. United States World War I Draft Registration Card, Cook County ward 24, John Boyce Phillis, 5 June 1917. Birth: 17 June 1890, Cambridge, Ohio. Address:118 E. Oak Dr. Chicago. Occupation: Hotel work, Great Northern Hotel, Jackson and Dearborn. Married. Supports: Wife and child.
Note: Child was Florence’s son,
Also, Great Northern Hotel, Chicago, Souvenir of Chicago in Colors (Chicago, Illinois : V.O. Hammon Publishing Company, 1908).
11. State of Illinois, Standard Certificate of Death, Chicago, Cook County, no. 2867, John C. Phillis, 30 Jan 1918; privately held by Kimberli Faulkner Hull, Massachusetts.
Birth: 29 Sept 1856, Ohio. Age 61 years, 3 months, 1 day. Married. Occupation: Watchman. Cause of death: chronic interstitial nephritis arterial paralysis. Father: Joseph Phillis, born in Ohio. Mother: Josephine Ewing, Ohio. Informant: Charles S Phillis. Burial: Montrose, 1 Feb 1918.
12. 1920 U.S. census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 1263, ward 23, sheet 8B, dwelling 92, family 179, John Phillis household.
Address: 2217 Cleveland Avenue
– John Phillis, age 29, born in Ohio, usher, railroad depot
– Florence, wife, age 32, born in Illinois
Also, 1920 U.S. census, Salem, Marion County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 194, sheet 2A, dwelling 23, family 26, James Sanders household.
Address: 312 Marshall Street
– James Sanders, age 53, born in Kentucky
– Ollie, wife age 52, born in Illinois
– Josephine Grover, daughter, age 25, married, born in Illinois
– William B. Sanders, son, age 23, single, born in Illinois
– Albert, son, age 17, single, born in Illinois
– Charlie Young, grandson, age 14, single, born in Arkansas
– Helen Grover, granddaughter, age 2 months, born in Missouri
13. State of Illinois, Department of Public Health–Division of Vital Statistics, death certificate, registered no. 6008278 (1921), Cook County, Julia A. Phillis, 20 Mar 1927; Faulkner-Hull Family Papers, privately held by Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
Julia A Phillis, 638 Webster Ave, Chicago, Cook, Illinois, Female, White, widow Date of death: 20 March 1927, Spouse: John C Phillis Cause of death: Cerebral hemorrhage, Contributing: arteriosclerosis Age 67 years, 10 months, 20 days Occupation: housewife, Birthplace: Cambridge, Ohio. Name of father: Jos. Thomas, Birthplace of father: Cambridge Ohio Name of mother: Julia H Thomas, Birthplace of mother: Cambridge Ohio. Informant: Clarence E Phillis, Place of burial: Montrose Cemetery. Note: Parents’ names are incorrect.
14. “Mrs. Minnie May Phillis,” obituary, Dewey Globe (Dewey, Oklahoma), 25 Mar 1927, p. 5, col. 2.
Note: Name is incorrect in the obituary, it should be Julia A. Phillis.
15. No death record was found for John Boyce Phillis. John Boyce was listed in his mother’s 1927 obituary. Florence was enumerated in 1940 as a widow and also listed as a widow on her 1946 death record. John Boyce was also named in the 1945 Oklahoma court filing regarding his father’s estate. It appears all family members were listed in the filing, including his mother who had died in 1927. Montrose Cemetery, where John Boyce’s parents are buried stated he is not buried there.
“Mrs. Minnie May Phillis,” obituary, Dewey Globe (Dewey, Oklahoma), 25 Mar 1927, p. 5, col. 2.
Note: Name is incorrect in the obituary, it should be Julia A. Phillis.
Also, 1940 U.S. census, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 103-290, ward 2, sheet 3A, dwelling 41, Florence Phillis household.
Address: 1447 E. 55th Street
– Phillis, Florence, age 53, widowed, born in Illinois. Rented house. Manager of hotel.
Also, Illinois, Cook County, Certificate of Death, Chicago, no. 25847, Florence Phillis, 8 Sept 1946. Widow. Birth: 25 Mar 1887, Salem, Illinois. Occupation: Hotel Manager, Thomas Seay and Co. Father: James Sanders, born in Kentucky. Mother: Mary Young, born in Salem, Illinois. Burial: 11 Sept 1946, Iuka.
“Guy G. and Ella Gaskill v. J.C. Phillis Estate,” newspaper notice, Morning Examiner
(Bartlesville, Oklahoma), 12 Apr 1945, p. 8, col. 5.
16. Illinois, Cook County, Certificate of Death, Chicago, no. 25847, Florence Phillis, 8 Sept 1946.
17. Office of the Illinois Secretary of State, Illinois Statewide Death Index, Marion County, no. 0042539, Charles Clay Young, 7 Oct 1950, age 45.
18. Headstone reads: Florence Phillis / 1887 1946.
Find A Grave, memorial 104553333, Florence Young Phillis (1887–1946), Iuka Cemetery, Iuka, Marion County, Illinois with headstone photo.
Also, headstone reads: Charlie Young/ 1887 1946.
Find A Grave, memorial 104553405, Charlie Clay Young (1905–1950), Iuka Cemetery, Iuka, Marion County, Illinois with headstone photo.
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “John Boyce Phillis,” Cool Adventures
( https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/john-boyce-phillis-1890/: posted 2022).