🏠 » Genealogy » Phillis family
Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull
2nd cousin 3 x removed
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission. Citing this page
© Kimberli Faulkner Hull
Henry Franklin Pierce Phillis was born on 12 Apr 1853 in Morgan County, Ohio to Henry Phillis and Joanna Blackledge.1
[Open Endnotes in separate tab]
Marriage to Julia E. Stephens
Henry married first to Julia E. Stephens on 12 Dec 1878 in Morgan County, Ohio.2
The couple had three known children, Elizabeth, Jessie, and a son, William, who died as an infant.3 Julia died in 1910.4
Marriage to Sarah Ann Addis
Henry married second to Sarah Ann Addis on 10 Apr 1912 in Noble County, Ohio.5
Henry filed for divorce a few days later, but the case was dismissed.6 The couple stayed married until his death.7
Henry Franklin Pierce Phillis died on 9 Apr 1920 and is buried in South Olive Cemetery, South Olive, Noble County, Ohio.8 Sarah Addis Phillis died in October 1933 and is also buried in South Olive Cemetery.9
1. No birth record found.
Noble County, Ohio, Marriage Record, vol. , p. 152, no. 31, Phillis–Addis, 10 April 1912. Groom: H. P. Phillis, age 58 on 12 April 1911. Birthplace: Morgan County, Ohio
Note: Ages calculates to 12 April 1853 for H. P.’s birth. Parents: Henry Phillis and Joanna Blacklidge.
2. Morgan County, Ohio, Marriage Record, vol. F, p. 15, no. 44, Pierce Phillis–Miss Julia E. Stevens, 12 Dec 1878. License: 10 Dec 1878. John W. Stephens, bride’s father.
Note: Family spelling of surname is Stephens.
3. 1900 U.S. census, Olive Township, Noble County, Ohio, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 94, sheet 155A (stamped), dwelling 155, Henry F. Phillis household.
– Henry F. Phillis, age 47, married 21 years, born Apr 1853, in Ohio
– Julia Phillis, wife, age 39, married 21 years, born in Apr 1861 in Ohio, 3 children born, 2 living
– Lizzie M. Phillis, daughter, age 20, single, born in Jan 1880 in Ohio
– Jessie M. Phillis, daughter, age 20, single, born in Mar 1890 in Ohio
Also, William F. Phillis’ birth and death, Morgan County, Ohio, Probate Court, Record of Births, p. 363, William F. Phillis, 3 June 1882. Parents: Pierce Phillis and Julia E. Stevens. Place of birth: Center Township.
Also, Morgan County, Ohio, Probate Court, Record of Deaths, William F. Phillis, 13 Jan 1883. Age: 0. Place of death: Morgan, Ohio. Birthplace: Morgan County, Ohio.
4. State of Ohio, Certificate of Death, Olive, Noble County, no. 34071, Julia E. Phillis, 17 June 1910. Married. Birth: 22 Apr 1861, Ohio. Parents: Elias Stephens and Jane Carrell, both born in Ohio. Informant: Pierce Phillis. Burial: South Olive, 19 June 1910.
5. Noble County, Ohio, Marriage Record, vol. 11, p. 152, no. 31, Phillis–Addis, 10 April 1912.
License: 9 Apr 1912. Marriage: 10 Apr 1912. Returned: 11 Apr 1912.
Groom: H. P. Phillis, age 58 on 12 April 1911. Residence: South Olive, Noble County, Ohio. Previously married. Birthplace: Morgan County, Ohio. Occupation: Farmer. Parents: Henry Phillis and Joanna Blacklidge.
Bride: Sarah Ann Addis, age 53 on 26 April 1911. First marriage. Residence: South Olive, Noble County, Ohio. Birthplace: Enoch Twp, Noble County, Ohio. Occupation: Domestic. Parents: Jonathan Addis and Sarah Shepherd.
Note: Ages calculate to 12 April 1853 for H. P.’s birth and 26 April 1858 for Sarah’s birth
6. Noble County Courthouse, Caldwell, Ohio, Divorce Files, Box 25, Noble Common Pleas, case no. 4715, Henry P. Phillis vs. Sarah Ann Phillis, 15 Apr 1912. Dismissed. App. Doc. 16, p. 392.
7. 1920 U.S. census, Olive Township, Noble County, Ohio, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 166, sheet 6A, dwelling 138, H. P. Phillis household.
H. P. Phillis, age 66, married, born in Ohio
Sarah A. Phillis, age 61, married, born in Ohio
8. The Caldwell Press (Caldwell, Noble County, Ohio) Abstracts, abstracted by Lois Blake, p. 54, Pierce Phillis, 21 Apr 1920. Phillis, Pierce, d. April 9; bur. So. Olive (So. Olive).
Also, Find A Grave, memorial 220158147, Henry Franklin Pierce Phillis (1853-1920), South Olive Cemetery, South Olive, Noble County, Ohio; no headstone photo.
9. State of Ohio, Certificate of Death, Jefferson, Guernsey County, no. 56362, Sarah A. Phillis, 25 Oct 1933. Widow. Spouse: Pierce Phillis. Birth: April 1857, Ohio. Age: 76 years, 5 months, 2 days. Parents: J. Addis and S. Shepard, both born in Ohio. Burial: 27 Oct 1933.
Note: Obituary states death was 24 October and last day of care on death lists 24 October; it is possible the 25 Oct date on the death certificate is an error.
Also, “Mrs. Sarah Phillis,” obituary, Daily Jeffersonian (Cambridge, Ohio), 25 Oct 1933, p. 3, col. 3.
Find A Grave, memorial 84537763, Sarah Ann Addis Phillis (1857-1933), South Olive Cemetery, South Olive, Noble County, Ohio with headstone photo.
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Henry Franklin Pierce Phillis,” Cool Adventures (https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/henry-franklin-pierce-phillis-1853-1920/: posted 2022).