Key Documentation and Descendant DNA matches
Compiled and analyzed by Kimberli Faulkner Hull. © Chasing Light Media
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission.
Versions of name used: Myrtle Ivy Hooper, Myrtle Hooper (marriage record), Myrtle Phillis (death record), Mrs. W. W. Phillis, Mrs. William Phillis.
No birth record has been found. Kansas state birth records began in 1911; Montgomery County birth death records began in 1888; Montgomery Record Vital Statistics, Vol. dated 5 Jan 1888–1 Oct 1892 searched.
SS-5 order attempted – website failed. SSN: 510-03-2616
- Social Security Administration, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, 509687451, Myrtle I. Phillis, 9 Sep 1886. Birth Place: Montgomery, Kansas. Death Date: Aug 1981. Father: David K Hooper. Mother: Cirrilda Clifford.
- Death record [attached below] lists birth date and parents, David Hooper and Cirrilda Clifford.
- Marriage record [attached below] to William Walker Phillis lists age of 27 in 1913
- Headstone inscription reads: Myrtle I. Phillis / Sept. 9, 1886 / Aug. 9, 1991.
Myrtle Ivy Hooper married William Walker Phillis on 11 Oct 1913 in Bartlesville, Washington County, Oklahoma.
Application for marriage license: W. W. Phillis, age 29, residence Caney, Montgomery County, Kansas and Miss Myrtle Hooper, age 26, residence Caney, Kansas. 11 Oct 1913.
Marriage license: W. W. Phillis, age 29, residence Caney, Montgomery County, Kansas and Miss Myrtle Hooper, age 27, residence Caney, Kansas. 11 Oct 1913, Bartlesville, Washington County, Oklahoma.
Certificate of marriage: Theo N. Gayen [sp?], Pastor 1st Baptist Church, Bartlesville, Washington County, Oklahoma. Marriage: 11 Oct 1913 in Bartlesville. Witnesses: John C. Churchill of Bartlesville and Mrs. john B. Churchill. Marriage return: 16 Oct 1913. Pauline Churchill, County Court Clerk
Kansas State Department of Health and Environment, Vital Statistics, Certificate of Death
Local file number: 131, 1117-2, Sept 2 1981
1. Name: Myrtle Phillis
2. Sex: Female
3. Date of death: Aug. 9, 1981
4. Age at last birthday: 94.
5. Date of birth: Sept. 9, 1886
6. Race: White, Origin: Amer.
7. County of death: Montgomery, City: Independence, Institution: Colonial Lodge, inpatient
8. State: Kansas. 9. County: USA. 10. Widowed.
13. Social Security Number: 510-03-2616
14. Occupation: housewife
15. Residence: Kansas, Montgomery, Independence, 1412 N. 10th, inside city limits
16. Father: David Hooper
17. Cirrilda Clifford
18. Informant: Eleanor Baird, 1412 N. 10th, Independence, Kansas, 67301
19. Burial, Sunnyside, Caney, Kansas
20. Larry Rodrick, 2594, Webb-Rodrick, Indep. Ks. 67301
21. Dr. William W. Emmot, 8/24/81, 10:30 pm 25. Cardio respiratory failure, Ventricular fibrillation, Coronary atherosclerotic heart disease, Chronic organic brain syndrome and anemia.
Sunnyside Cemetery, Caney, Kansas.
Myrtle Ivy Hooper Phillis is buried in Sunnyside Cemetery, Caney, Kansas.
Location: The Phillis and Hooper (Myrtle Hooper Phillis’ parents) headstones are located together, near the highway on the east side. Sunnyside Cemetery, Caney, Montgomery County, Kansas.
Headstone inscription: Myrtle I. Phillis / Sept. 9, 1886 / Aug. 9, 1991.
Find A Grave memorial 76740924 with headstone photo.
Billion Graves memorial 33272649 with headstone photo.
Other Cemetery Plot Deed
Myrtle Hooper purchased a cemetery plot, lot no. 2921, at Mount Hope Cemetery, on 8 Aug 1966, but sold the plot to Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Faulkner [daughter and son-in-law] for one dollar on 6 Apr 1970.
1. Eleanor Marie Phillis
Birth: 20 Oct 1913, Caney, Montgomery County, Kansas.
Marriage: 29 Nov 1939, Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas.
Spouse: Solease Hanley Baird, 13 Oct 1903–1 Jun 1963
Spouse’s Find A Grave 71388554 with headstone photo.
Clippings: 17 Oct 1903, 12 Aug 1905, 21 Oct 1922, 3 Oct 1924, 16 Jan 1925, 30 Oct 1925,
26 Sep 1924, 16 Nov 1931, 1 Nov 1978,
Death: 14 Jan 2008, Farmers Branch, Dallas County, Texas, Death notice, Obituary
Find A Grave 71388508 with headstone photo.
Social security number 510-03-2616.
Census records and directories
1900 U. S Census
In 1900, Myrtle was living with her parents and siblings in Caney, Kansas:
- [David K.] David Hooper, age 36, married 16 years; birth Sept 1865, Illinois; father’s birthplace: Illinois, mother’s birth place: Louisiana; occupation: farmer
- [Cirrilda Ann] Cirilda Hooper, age 33, wife, married 16 years; children born: 5, children living: 5; born Mar 1862 Indiana; both parents born in Pennsylvania
- [Myrtle Ivy] Myrtle, daughter, age 13, single; born Sept 1886, Kansas; attended school 8 months
- [Mabel Zula] Mabel, daughter, age 12, single; born Feb 1888, Kansas; attended school 8 months
- [Clyde P.] Clyde, son, age 9, single; born June 1890, Kansas; attended school 8 months
- [Bessie G.] Bessie, daughter, age 9, single; born Oct 1892, Kansas; attended school 8 months
- [Lee Erasthmus] Lee, son, age 4; single; born Sept 1895, Kansas
1905 Kansas state census
1905 Kansas state census, Caney, Montgomery County, Kansas, population schedule, p. 5, line 25, dwelling 33, D. K. Hooper household; Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, Kansas, 1905 Kansas Territory Census, roll ks1905_104.
D. K. Hooper, age 45
Myrtle Hooper, age 19
Mable Hooper, age 18
Clyde Hooper, age 16
Bessie Hooper, age 13
Lee Hooper, age 10
Doyle Hooper, age 1
1910 U.S. Census
In 1910, Myrtle was living with her parents and siblings in Caney, Kansas:
- David K. Hooper age 50, widower; born in Illinois, occupation farmer
- [Myrtle Ivy] Myrtle Hooper, daughter, age 23, single, born in Kansas
- [Clyde P.] Clyde Hooper, son age 19, single, born in Kansas
- [Bessie G.] Bessie Hooper, daughter, age 17, single, born in Kansas
- [Lee Erasthmus] Lee Hooper, son, age 14, single, born in Oklahoma
- [Doyle C.] Doyle Hooper, son, age 6, single, born in Kansas
1915 Kansas State Census
In 1915, Myrtle Phillis was living with her husband and daughter, and her brother, Doyle C. Hooper. Myrtle was Doyle’s legal guardian as their father, David K. Hooper, died in 1915.
- [William Walker] W. W. Phillis, age 30
- Myrtle Phillis, age 28
- Eleanor Phillis, age 2
- Doyle Hooper, age 11 [Myrtle’s brother]
1920 U. S. Census
In 1920, Myrtle was living with her spouse, and daughter, Eleanor, in Independence, Kansas:
- W. W. Phillis, age 35, born Ohio, married; both parents born in Ohio; occupation: laborer.
- Myrtle Phillis, age 33, born Kansas, married; father born in Illinois, mother born in Indiana.
- Eleanor Phillis, age 7, born Kansas, single.
1930 U.S. Census
In 1930, Myrtle Phillis was living with her spouse, William W. Phillis, and daughters in Cedar Township, Altoona, Wilson County, Kansas:
- William W. Phillis, age 44, married, born in Ohio, both parents born in Ohio, occupation: Field Manager, City Services Gas, age at first marriage: 26
- Myrtle Phillis, age 42, married, born in Kansas, father born in Illinois, mother born in Indiana, age at first marriage: 24
- Eleanor Phillis, age 16, daughter, single, born in Kansas
- Evelyn Phillis, age 6, daughter, single, born in Oklahoma
1940 U.S. Census
In 1940, Myrtle Phillis was living with her spouse, William W. Phillis, daughters, and son-in-law at 308 N. 9th St in Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas. Everyone in the household stated they were living at the same place in 1935.
- William W. Phillis, age 55, married, born in Ohio; occupation: laborer odd jobs, completed school through 8th grade
- Myrtle Phillis, age 52, married, born in Kansas, completed 4 years of high school
- Evelyn Lee Phillis, age 16, daughter, single, born in Oklahoma, completed 2 years of high school, currently attending school
- Hanley Baird, age 36, son-in-law, married, completed 4 years of high school
- Eleanor M. Baird, daughter, age 26, daughter, married, born in Kansas, completed 4 years of high school
1950 Independence, Kansas City Census
In 1950, William W. Phillis was recorded as living at 108 W. Sycamore with one other person [Myrtle] in his family.
Note: William and Myrtle were living with their daughter, Evelyn, son-in-law, Ernest, and their grandchildren, at 108 W. Sycamore.
1961 Kansas State Census
In 1961, William, age 76, and Myrtle Phillis, age 74, were living at 1020 W. Maple in Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas.
Myrtle Ivy Hooper descendant DNA matches: 1
- Direct line: William Walker Phillis and Myrtle Ivy Hooper > Evelyn Lee Phillis > Kimberli Faulkner Hull.
- No descendant DNA matches other than through direct line (Evelyn Lee Phillis) are possible as Eleanor Phillis Baird did not have children.
Evelyn Lee Phillis descendant DNA matches (direct line): 1
William Walker Phillis and Myrtle Ivy Hooper > Evelyn Lee Phillis > Karen Sue Faulkner > Ancestry & LivingDNA match. Nephew. (Bettinger Shared cM Project 4.0 v.4 range 1201-2282 , avg.1740). 1,704 cM across 41 segments.