🏠 » Genealogy » Kuykendall family
Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull © Chasing Light Media
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission.
James John Kuykendall was born 1 Apr 1866 in Illinois to James Kuykendall and Narcissa Caulk.1 James’ father, James, died when James was just two years of age.2 James childhood was spent in Walshville Township, in Montgomery County, along with his mother, and his siblings.3
James married Flora Bell Wallace on 8 Apr 1886 in Madison County, Illinois.4 The couple had two known children, Edna Lavina, who was born in 1886 and only lived to the age of three, and Ethel May, born in 1891. In 1900, the family of three were living and operating a hotel in Shoal Creek Township, Bond County.5
James and Flora soon divorced and James married second to Ethelyn Bone Blake about 1905. The couple made their home, along with two of Ethelyn’s daughters from her first marriage, in Terre Haute, Indiana. James worked as an engineer at a heating plant6
James John Kuykendall died on 8 Apr 1946, in Vigo County, Indiana.7
James John Kuykendall Obituary
James John Kuykendall, 80 years old, died at the residence, 584 South Tenth street, at 1 o’clock yesterday afternoon. He is survived by two step daughters, Mrs. Milton Schatchtel and Mrs. Nell Flynn. The body was taken to the Gills Memory Chapel where funeral services will be held at 10:30 o’clock Tuesday morning. Burial will be in Roselawn Memorial Park.
James and Ethelyne are both buried in Roselawn Memorial Park in Terre Haute, Vigo County, Indiana.8
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “James John Kuykendall” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures ( https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/james-john-kuykendall-1866-1946/ : posted 2021).
- Indiana State Board of Health, certificate of death, no. 13552, Vigo County, James J. Kuykendall, 7 Apr 1946. Place of death: Rural Vigo County. Birth: 1 Apr 1866. Age: 80 years, 6 days. Widowed. Burial: Roselawn, 9 Apr 1946.
- Find A Grave, memorial 39320231, James Kuykendall (1820–1868), Kirkland Cemetery, Montgomery County, Illinois.
- 1870 U.S. census, Walshville Township, Montgomery County, Illinois, population schedule, sheet 39, dwelling 309, Nar Kuy Kendall household.
– Nar Kuy Kendall, age 45, born in Illinois
– Sarah M. Kuy Kendall, age 16, born in Illinois
– Marion Kuy Kendall, age 14, born in Illinois
– John Kuy Kendall, age 12, born in Illinois
– Monroe Kuy Kendall, age 10, born in Illinois
– James Kuy Kendall, age 8, born in Illinois
– Francis Kuy Kendall, age 6, born in Illinois
- Madison County, Illinois, Marriage Register 1886, p. 280, no. 1917, James J. Keykendall–Flora B. Wallace, 8 Apr 1886. Groom: James J. KeyKendall, age 22. Residence: Sorento, Bond County. Place of birth: Bond County. Parents: James K. Kendall and Naveissa Caulk. First marriage. Bride: Flora B. Wallace, age 17. Residence: Stanton, Illinois. Place of birth: Kansas. Parents: J. Wallen and Eliza Crutbis. First marriage.
- 1900 U.S. census, Shoal Creek Township, Bond County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 9, sheet 20 B (penned), dwelling 418, James Kuykendall household.
– James Kuykendall, age 34, born in Illinois, hotel keeper
– Flora B Kuykendall, wife, age 30, born in Kansas
– Ethel M Kuykendall, daughter, age 9, born in Illinois
- Divorce records were not located, however, both Flora and James remarried. Also,
1910 U.S. census, Terre Haute Ward 2, Vigo County, Indiana, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 143, sheet 213 B, house 1131, James J. Kuykendall household.
– James Kuykendall, age 43, born Illinois, married 5 years, 2nd marriage, engineer, heating plant
– Ethelyn Kuykendall, wife, age 43, born in Illinois, married 5 years, 2nd marriage
– Nellie Blake, step-daughter, age22, single, born in Indiana
– Mae Blake, step-daughter, age 18, single, born in Indiana
- Indiana State Board of Health, certificate of death, no. 13552, Vigo County, James J. Kuykendall, 7 Apr 1946. Also, “James John Kuykendall,” obituary, Terre Haute Tribune (Wabash Valley, Indiana), 8 Apr 1946, p. 2, col. 3.
- Find A Grave, memorial 183884935, Ethelyn Bone Kuykendall (1868–1937), Roselawn Memorial Park, Terre Haute, Vigo County, Indiana. Also,
Find A Grave, memorial 222524882, James John Kuykendall (1866–1946), Roselawn Memorial Park, Terre Haute, Vigo County, Indiana.