Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull © Chasing Light Media
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission.
Elizabeth Hull was born about 4 July 1814 in Pennsylvania.1
Elizabeth married first to a Mr. Cain/Cane about about 1829.2 To this marriage, two known children were born, Mary Jane and William.3 Elizabeth married second to Jacob Barnhouse on 9 May 1839 in Harrison County, Ohio.4 Susan, Abner, Harvey, and possibly Jacob, were born to this marriage.5
Elizabeth’s husband, Jacob, died about 1845 or 1846.6 She lived with her son, Abner, and daughter, Sarah, for many years after. In 1880, her sister, Susannah Hull Coyle, also widowed, and Susannah’s sons were also living with Elizabeth, Abner, and Sarah.7
Elizabeth Hull Cain Barnhouse died on 18 Mar 1894 in Belle Valley, Noble County, Ohio and is buried in Ragans Chapel Cemetery.8
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Elizabeth Hull Cain Barnhouse,” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures (https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/elizabeth-hull-barnhouse-1814-1894/ : posted 2021).
- Birth from headstone. Find A Grave, memorial 25346972 , Elizabeth Hull Barnhouse (1814-1895), Ragans Chapel Cemetery, Belle Valley, Noble County, Ohio. Headstone reads:
Barnhouse / Jacob Barnhouse / Born Oct. 12, 1814 / Died Aug. 16, 1845 / Elizabeth His Wife / Born July 4, 1814 / Died Mar. 14, 1895.
Note: Age of 82 years 3 months, 11 days on death record calculates to 7 Dec 1812 for birth.
For birth location, see death record (below).
- A record for Elizabeth’s first marriage has not been located. Estimated year of marriage is based on birth of first child in 1830. Spouse’s surname of Cain/Cane is based on Elizabeth’s surname on second marriage to Jacob Barnhouse.
- Mary Jane and William W. were born prior to Elizabeth and Jacob Barnhouse’s marriage in 1839 and therefore most likely children of the Elizabeth Hull–Cain/Cane marriage.
– Mary Jane’s surname was listed as Cain on her marriage record: Noble County, Ohio, Probate Court, Marriage Record, vol. 1-2, p. 444, William A. Morris–Mary Jane Cain, 29 June 1861..
– William’s headstone reads 1836 and his obituary lists an age of 83 which also calculates to 1836.
- Marriage to Jacob Barnhouse: Harrison County, Ohio, Marriage Records 1828-1840, vol. B, p. 636, Barnhouse–Cane, 9 May 1839. Jacob Barnhouse to Elizabeth Cane; marriage license issued 8 May 1839; marriage 9 May 1839; returned 29 May 1839; recorded 5 June 1839.
- 1850 U.S. census, Noble Township, Morgan County, Ohio, population schedule, p. 10-11, dwellings 69 and 70, Barnhouse residences.
Dwelling 70, Elizabeth Barnhouse, age 38, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1812]
Mary Barnhouse, age 19, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1831]
William Barnhouse, age 14, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1836]
Susan Barnhouse, age 11, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1839]
Abner Barnhouse, age 9, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1841]
Harvey Barnhouse, age 7, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1843]
Jacob Barnhouse, age 5, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1845]
Oliver Barnhouse, age 4 months, born in Ohio
Notes: Also, Oliver was most likely Jacob Barnhouse’s nephew [Division for Vital Records and Health Statistics, Lansing, Michigan, Death Certificate Conway, Livingston County, Oliver Giddeon Barnhouse, 23 June 1932. Birth: 30 Sept 1851, Coral, Ohio. Parents: Abner Barnhouse and Elizabeth Miller].
Living next door, Dwelling 69, Benjamin Barnhouse, age 44, farmer, born in Virginia
Mary Barnhouse, age 46, born in Pennsylvania
Elizabeth Barnhouse, age 16, born in Ohio
William Barnhouse, age 14, born in Ohio
George Barnhouse, age 12, born in Ohio
Hugh Barnhouse, age 10, born in Ohio
Moses Barnhouse, age 9, born in Ohio
Nancy Barnhouse, age 7, born in Ohio
- Jacob’s death
Headstone reads: Jacob Barnhouse / Born Oct. 12, 1814 / Died Aug. 16, 1845. However, the obituary of the younger Jacob Barnhouse, believed to be their son, states he (the younger Jacob) was born 4 Dec 1846 [“Jacob Barnhouse,” obituary, Fairview Republican (Fairview, Oklahoma), 9 Feb 1923. Birth: 4 Dec 1846 near Belle Valley, Ohio]. Possibilities include: The elder Jacob’s death on the headstone is incorrect; the birth date in the obituary for Jacob the son is incorrect, or the elder Jacob was not the younger Jacob’s father.
Noble County was formed on 11 March 1851 from parts of Guernsey, Monroe, Morgan, and Washington counties [the family didn’t move; the county changed names].
- 1860 U.S. census, Noble Township, Noble County, Ohio, population schedule, p. 63, dwelling 481, family 472, Elizabeth Barnhouse household.
Elizabeth Barnhouse, age 44, widow, born in Pennsylvania [approximate birth year 1816]
Mary Jane Barnhouse, age 28, domestic, born in Pennsylvania [approximate birth year 1832]
Suzannah Barnhouse, age 20, born in Pennsylvania [approximate birth year 1840]
Abner Barnhouse, age 18, farm laborer, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1842]
Harvey Barnhouse, age 16, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1844]
Jacob Barnhouse, age 14, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1846]
Sarah E. Barnhouse, age 8, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1852]
Joseph Barnhouse, age 1, born in Ohio [approximate birth year 1859]
– Sarah E. is listed as Elizabeth’s daughter on the 1880 census and her estimated birth year range stays consistent as 1851-1852, well after Jacob Barnhouse’s death. Her father is unknown.
– Joseph is listed as Elizabeth’s grandson, age 21, on the 1880 census, however, it is believed he may be the Joseph McCune, age 12, living with the family in 1870; he is possibly the son of Elizabeth’s daughter, Susannah [unconfirmed]. Noble County, Ohio, Index to Miscellaneous files, vol. 1-2, Susannah Barnhouse vs. Joseph McCune, record 2, p. 566, box 37.
– Mary Jane Barnhouse married William A. Morris on 27 Jan 1854 in Sunbury Township, Monroe County, Ohio according to 1861 divorce files, but the couple did not live together. Mary Jane was enumerated living with her mother in 1860. William sued Mary J. Morris for divorce on 20 Apr 1861. [Noble County Courthouse, Caldwell, Ohio, Divorce Files, Box 3, Noble Common Pleas, William A. Morris vs. Mary J. Morris, 20 Apr 1861]. It appears they got divorced, then remarried in June 1861. [Noble County, Ohio, Marriage Record, p. 444, William A. Morris–Mary J. Cain, 29 June 1861.]
1870 U.S. census, Noble Township, Noble County, Ohio, population schedule, p. 18, dwelling 148, family 141, Abner Barnhouse household.
Abner Barnhouse, age 26, farmer, born in Ohio
Elizabeth Barnhouse, age 54, born in Pennsylvania
Harvey Barnhouse, age 24, born in Ohio
Sarah Barnhouse, age 18, born in Ohio
Joseph McCune, age 12, domestic servant, born in Ohio
Notes: The William McCune and the Joseph McCune households were next door.
1880 U.S. census, Noble Township, Noble County, Ohio, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 194, p. 10, dwelling 71, family 71, Elizabeth Barnhouse household.
Elizabeth Barnhouse, age 68, widowed, born in Ohio, parents both born in Pennsylvania
Abner Barnhouse, age 38, son, single, farmer, born in Ohio
Joseph Barnhouse, age 21, grandson, single, farm worker, born in Ohio
Sarah Delong, age 29, daughter, married, born in Ohio
Susanah Coyle, age 66, sister, widowed, retired, born in Pennsylvania
Thomas Coyle, age 27, nephew, single, laborer, born in Ohio
Alexander Coyle, age 25, nephew, single, laborer, born in Ohio
William Delong, age 27, son-in-law, married, section hand on RR, born in Ohio
- Noble County, Ohio, Probate Court, Record of Death, p. 17, no. 13, Elizabeth Barnhouse, 18 Mar 1895. Age: 82 years 3 months, 11 days. Widow. Place of death: Belle Valley. Place of birth: Pennsylvania. Cause of death: Old age. Residence: Belle Valley. Note: Headstone reads 14 Mar 1895.
Obituaries from the Caldwell Press, May 1, 1884 to Feb. 11, 1914, p. 46, Elizabeth Barnhouse, 21 Mar 1895.
Barnhouse, Elizabeth, age 81, d. Hoskinsville, Thursday; bur. there.
Also index: Elizabeth Barnhouse, reel 1, p. 5., Elizabeth Barnhouse, reel 5, p. 46.