Compiled and written by Kimberli Faulkner Hull © Chasing Light Media
The contents of this website, including images and photos, may neither be copied nor otherwise used or posted elsewhere without explicit permission.
Citing this page: Kimberli Faulkner Hull, author, “Frederick Denison Lyons,” Chasing Light Media, Cool Adventures ( https://cooladventures.com/collection/frederick-denison-lyons/ : posted 2021).
Frederick Denison Lyons was born on 14 March 1819 in Colrain, Franklin County, in the Berkshires of Massachusetts.1
The 1905 Lyon Memorial, Massachusetts Families, states Frederick was born in “the old house inherited by his father from the pioneer, David Lyons. He remembers distinctly his grandmother, Abigail (Draper) Lyons, who spent the last years of her life under the same roof. He hear from her the story of his grandfather’s participation in the Boston ‘Tea Party,’ evidence of this being, as she related it, that some of the tea was found in his shoes the next morning.”2
By 1850, Frederick had moved to Pennsylvania and was working as a merchant and living with his brother and sister-in-law, David A. and Amelia Lyons, in Harmony, Susquehanna County.3
On 13 August 1851 in Whitingham, Windham County, Vermont, Frederick D. Lyons of Lanesboro, Pennsylvania and Mary A. Hull of Whitingham, Vermont, were joined in marriage by Amherst Lamb, Minister of the Gospel.4
In 1857, Fred and Mary were living near Mary’s sisters, Ann and Fannie, in Harmony.5
- A. B. Lyons, G. W. Lyon, Eugene F. McPike, editors, Lyon Memorial, Massachusetts Families (Detroit, Michigan : William Graham Printing Co., 1905), p. 219, no. 1787, Frederick Denison Lyons.
- 1850 U.S. census, Harmony, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, p. 469 (penned) 239 (stamped), dwelling 222, family 236, David A. Lyons household.
– David A. Lyons, age 33, merchant, born in Massachusetts
– Amelia E. Lyons, age 27, born in Pennsylvania
– Frederick D. Lyons, age 31, merchant, born in Massachusetts
- Whitingham, Windham County, Vermont, Record of Marriages, vol. B, p. 73, Frederick D. Lyons–Mary A. Hull, 13 Aug 1851.
- Kimberli Faulkner Hull, transcriber, “Diary for 1857 of Ann M. Hull, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania,” (typescript, 2021), Fred D. Lyons entries; original diary in possession of Kimberli Faulkner Hull, Faulkner-Hull Collection (https://cooladventures.com/genealogy/people-in-the-ann-m-hull-diary-of-1857/#Fred-Lyons ).
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Bureau of Vital Statistics, certificate of death, no. 193053, Susquehanna, Susquehanna County, Frederick D. Lyons, 11 Dec 1918. Date of birth: 14 Mar 1819, Massachusetts. Age: 99 years, 8 months, 28 days. Widowed. Occupation: Retired merchant. Parents: David Lyons and Abigail Droffer. [Note: David Lyons and Abigail Draper were his grandparents]. Cause of death: old age. Burial: Susquehanna, 14 Dec 1918.
- Headstone reads: Fredrick D. Lyons / Born / Mar 14, 1819, / Died Dec. 11 1918
Find A Grave, memorial 87121569, Frederick Denison Lyons (1819–1918), Grand Street Cemetery, Susquehanna Depot, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania; headstone photo by Andrew Champion, memorial created by Andrew Champion (contributor 47466035).